Sunday, May 29, 2011

Mothers Day/Birthday

As you all know, May 8th was Mothers Day.  A slightly lesser known fact is that it was also my birthday.  Some in my family will know that historically when Mothers Day and my birthday collide, I tend to have pretty bad days.  Suffice it to say, I've spent more than one MD/BDay in the emergency room.

So leading up to May 8th this year there was the obligatory banter from my family wondering if I was nervous/ planning to spend the day indoors/ going to wrap myself in bubble wrap/ etc. (Not to mention a a small amount of actual anxiety)  However as the day drew to a close, it appeared that I would avoid the curse this year...then we had dinner.

Admittedly, what happened at dinner could have just been a coincidence, and as I'm not an authority on curses, hexes, or witchcraft generally, I admit that I don't know if it's possible for such a plague to express itself in another person.  If it is, it appears that this year I ported my BDay misfortune to my poor mother-in-law.

We just sat down to a nice MD/BDay dinner when Marilyn took her first bite of steak (which I prepared no less) and began having a strange hiccup-type sound in her throat.  She took a drink of water to try and stop the noise which apparently only lodged the obstruction deeper at which point she began choking in earnest.

All I could think of as I quickly stood up and walked around the table was that while I had learned the Heimlich in Boy Scouts many years ago, I had never actually had to administer the maneuver.  I was pretty sure the most likely outcome was that I was going to break Marilyn's ribs and still not solve the problem.  I executed the technique to the best of my recollection, gave my mother-in-law a couple of good jerks, and viola', out popped the culprit and breathing returned to normal.  It was a scary couple of moments, but I'm happy to report that Marilyn is OK. 

So as I said, I'm not sure if this little episode can be blamed on the aforementioned curse, but it does seem like an eerie coincidence. 

On another note, I gave my mother-in-law the gift of life for Mothers Day.  What did you get yours?

No comments: