Friday, August 3, 2012

Pregnancy's Final Days

I'm sure no one is more acutely aware of this pregnancy winding down than Ally.  Let me just take a moment and thank her for her patience and strength during this gestation, particularly the last several weeks where she has barely been able to walk due to sore back and hips.  She has been a trooper and somehow has managed a two-year old as well.

As it did during Blaire's pregnancy, this pregnancy has felt somewhat abstract to me.  It's as though I'm more adjacent to the process than part of it.  Obviously there have been the expected preparations, and I've watched Ally grow, but it seems very arms length.  But as they did with Blaire, the final weeks seem to bring with them a sense of reality and I find myself thinking about baby number two more often.

I'm somehow more intimidated about #2 than I was for Blaire.  Different fears though.  Before I worried about how to care for a new born, what to do if they cried, what if they got sick, how to change a diaper.  Having now been through it I'm confident I can care for this new baby, but not with a two-year old in the mix.  It seems as though Blaire takes all the effort of both Ally and me.  The thought of now adding a newborn to the mix seems very daunting.  

I just keep telling myself that many before us have raised multiple children with success, so it's obviously possible.  I'm hoping this means the scales of success are tipped in our favor.

modeling at the beach

1 comment:

Sami said...

You two are naturals. In no time you'll wonder why you ever worried about having a number two! Good luck and we can't wait to hear the news of baby 2 coming.